A few weeks ago I successfully made homemade unsweetened vegan soy yogurt. It is the perfect combination of creamy and tart and I have been enjoying it almost daily for breakfast. What I didn’t mention is that my second attempt was successful, but my first attempt was not. The first attempt had the same delicious flavor, but it did not set up at all. Because it still tasted good I kept the 5 cups of liquid yogurt in the frig and looked for any recipe that required yogurt. This homemade frozen yogurt (using agave instead of honey) was a great treat, but I still had a ton left. I decided to make a vegan lemon bundt cake with the yogurt and it was a great decision. The cake is moist and rich like a pound cake, but with a light lemon flavor. Enjoy this cake with your coffee, at brunch, or as a lighter dessert.
I decided to bake the cake in my new bundt pan. I love the texture the bundt pan created, with the more crisp edges. You can definitely use a loaf pan, or even an 8×8 pan if that is what you have. You will need to adjust the baking time accordingly. An 8×8 pan may only take 30 minutes and a loaf pan more like 40-45 minutes. Just be sure to check your cake so it doesn’t overcook.
I used lemon extract in this cake because I like the boost of lemon flavor it adds without having to juice a ton of lemons. I only had a few lemons on hand and I didn’t want to use them all for this cake.
The glaze is beautiful and adds an additional layer of sweet lemon flavor to the cake. If you are short on time, or don’t like glazes you can always just sprinkle powdered sugar liberally over the top of the cake.
I was traveling to visit my parents the next day so I used my portable cake server. I feel like my great-aunts when I use that thing. They were our resident family bakers and always showed up to holidays and picnics with their cake carrier full of a family favorite cake. I also used a doily here since I was going to my parents house. My Mom would not approve of a bundt cake with no doily!
I hope you try and enjoy this cake…doily optional!
* THIS PAGE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS. IF YOU PURCHASE A PRODUCT THROUGH AN AFFILIATE LINK YOUR COST WILL REMAIN THE SAME, BUT VEGAN GRETCHEN WILL AUTOMATICALLY RECEIVE A SMALL COMMISSION. YOUR SUPPORT IS APPRECIATED.
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Zest
- ½ cup Vegan Butter (such as Earth Balance), softened
- 1⅓ cups Sugar
- ⅔ cup Almond or Soy Milk, unsweetened
- 1½ teaspoons Lemon Extract
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¾ cup Vegan Yogurt, unsweetened if possible
- 1 cup Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 8-10 cup bundt pan.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Stir until combined and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl beat together the vegan butter and sugar until well combined. Stir in almond milk, extracts and yogurt.
- Add the liquid mixture to flour mixture. Thoroughly combine.
- Pour batter into greased bundt pan. Bake for 50-55 minutes until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for 20 minutes. Remove cake from bundt pan and let is cool completely.
- Once cake is completely cooled prepare the glaze. Stir lemon juice into powdered sugar. Once it forms a pourable glaze pour over the middle of the cake. The glaze should run down each side of the cake. Cut & Serve!