Years ago one of my closest friends, Elisa, spent Fourth of July with my extended family. We were in the middle of nowhere so each night one of us cooked dinner for the group. Elisa made delicious Chana Masala style tacos. Recently I decided to create my own version, inspired by her original. I made these Indian Tacos with a creamy coconut curry featuring chickpeas and kale. I served them in warmed corn tortillas with homemade mango chutney and vegan raita. These are delicious for a Meatless Monday dinner and the leftovers make a tasty, filling lunch.
For the greens I used a bag of baby kale that I bought at the Farmers Market. Any green will work here, but do slice the greens thin so they cook completely in the 10 minute timeframe.
For the raita I used the homemade yogurt I have been making every week. This worked much better than raitas I have tried in the past using store bought vegan yogurt. I think the key is to add white wine vinegar – that really seems to diminish the aftertaste some vegan yogurts can have. This was a cool, creamy topping for the spicy tacos. If you don’t want to make raita you can also use vegan sour cream.
For the chutney I followed my favorite recipe from Curtis Stone. I used Mangos in this version. I have used peaches and nectarines in the past. This recipe is very versatile and is the perfect mix of sweet fruit, spicy red peppers and tangy vinegar. The only change I made to the original recipe is that I used a hand blender to puree the chutney since I like mine to have a smoother texture.
Give these Indian Tacos a try the next time you are in the mood for a flavorful, satisfying weeknight dinner.
- 2 teaspoons Coconut Oil
- 2 teaspoons Mustard Seed
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoons Ginger, minced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 small Tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup Coconut Milk
- 1 bunch Kale, remove stem and slice thin
- 2 cups Chickpeas, cooked
- 1-2 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 8 Corn Tortillas, warmed
- 1 small Cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup Vegan Yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Mint, minced
- 1 tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1 small clove Garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon White Wine Vinegar
- TACOS: Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Add in Coconut Oil. Once it has melted add mustard seeds. Cook for about 60 seconds until the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in onions. Saute for 5 minutes until onions are translucent. Add in garlic and ginger. Saute for another 2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant. Stir in curry powder, cumin, red pepper, garam masala and salt. Add in tomatoes to deglaze pan. Stir in coconut milk and let mixture cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale and chickpeas. Cook for an additional 10 minutes until kale is wilted. Stir in lime juice (start with 1 Tablespoon) and taste for salt.
- Serve in warmed corn tortillas with chutney and vegan raita.
- RAITA: Grate the cucumber into a large bowl. Add remaining raita ingredients, stir to combine. Taste for salt. Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.