When I was about Trey’s age my family moved to Dallas. In addition to the major culture shock (who knew 8 year old’s carried a purse!?!) we were introduced to Tex-Mex. My favorite Tex-Mex dish was fajitas. I loved the sizzling platter of food that arrived at the table and how you got to assemble each fajita on your own. Like most kids getting to add just the right amount of toppings for myself was ideal. I am always looking for easy weeknight meals that take less than 30 minutes to make, and vegan fajitas fit that bill. This Meatless Monday meal is a spicy, satisfying and quick meal for your family.
I use the Chipotle Field Roast sausages in my fajitas. I will warn you these are HOT. As in I don’t even add salsa to these fajitas. Trey can handle the heat here, but if you or any of your family members are sensitive to heat you might want to choose a milder option. You might consider using Beyond Meat chicken strips and add taco seasoning when you saute the strips. I love the Chipotle sausages personally, but everyone has different heat tolerances.
For the cheese component I used Heidi Ho cheese sauce. Becaue I was using the spicy sausages I just used the regular variety of cheese (rather than spicy). It was a perfect creamy addition to the dish. I heated the cheese for about 20 seconds in the microwave and added a bit to each fajita. You could use Daiya cheese here as well.
Since I knew these were going to be spicy I wanted a few creamy, cooling toppings. I added sliced avocado and lime juice to mine. On Trey’s I added Tofutti sour cream which he loves. I heated up the small flour tortillas over our gas stove. You could warm them in the oven, but I did love the charred edges of the tortillas warmed right over the flame.
Hope you try these vegan fajitas when you need a quick weeknight meal!
- 4 Field Roast Chipotle Sausages, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Canola Oil, divided
- 1 Medium Red Onion, halved and sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 Poblano Pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Heidi Ho Cheese Sauce
- 8 Flour Tortillas
- Vegan Sour Cream
- Sliced Avocado
- Lime Wedges
- Heat 1 teaspoon canola oil in large skillet over Medium High heat. Saute sliced Field Roast sausage for 5-10 minutes until browned and edges are crispy. Stir frequently. Once done remove Field Roast from pan and place in a separate bowl. Set aside.
- In the same skillet (no need to clean) add additional teaspoon of canola oil. Over Medium High heat saute onions and peppers. Stir in cumin and salt. Saute until peppers and onion are soft, about 5-7 minutes. Stir browned Field Roast back into skillet until peppers, onions and sausage are combined. Remove from heat.
- Warm tortillas in skillet or over flame of gas stove. Watch carefully so they don't burn.
- ASSEMBLE: Take warmed tortilla and top with sausage & pepper mixture. Pour 1-2 Tablespoons of Heidi Ho cheese sauce on top. Add any additional toppings. Fold in half and serve warm.