As a vegan when you are invited to parties and BBQ’s the item you bring will often be the only item you eat. I’ve learned the hard way that bringing only a dessert backfires since you won’t have anything to eat for dinner. I like to volunteer to bring a salad and a dessert to parties. I developed this vegan pasta salad to work both as a complete meal for vegans and as a side dish for other guests. The pasta salad includes sautéed Field Roast sausage, bell peppers, tomatoes, basil and parsley. The Field Roast and vegetables are tossed with a short-cut pasta and a tangy vinaigrette. Make this at home for a Meatless Monday summer entree or bring it to a party to share.
Choose a short-cut pasta for this salad. I love using fusilli or rotini because I like how they look tossed with all of the vegetables and they hold the dressing really well.
When you make the dressing you warm garlic in olive oil slowly. This infuses the olive oil with garlic flavor and cooks out the strong, raw garlic notes. The whole salad is very piquant. From the vinegar, to the mustard, to the olives it is packed with big flavor.
I was nervous serving the Field Roast to omnivores the first few times I made this pasta salad. I absolutely love Field Roast sausage. I like that it has strong umami flavors, but isn’t trying too hard to replicate animal based sausage (which I always hated). I’ve served the pasta salad now to multiple omnivores who are not familiar with veganism and they have all raved about the salad. One of my friend’s husband was actually concerned that I was accidentally eating meat when he saw me eating this.
Bring this hearty, flavorful vegan pasta salad to your 4th of July BBQ. Vegans and non-vegans will love it.
- 4 Field Roast Italian Sausages Links
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup Green Olives, sliced
- ¼ cup Basil, minced
- ¼ cup Italian Parsley, minced
- 1 lb rotini pasta, cooked
- 3 cups arugula (optional, see note)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 TB Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 TB Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- Cut each Field Roast sausage in half lengthwise. Then slice in ¼ inch thick pieces. Heat 1 tsp olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Cook Field Roast for 5-7 minutes until browned.
- In a separate small pan heat ¼ cup of olive oil over low heat. Add garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Do not brown, just warm, garlic.
- Add warmed garlic and oil to a large bowl. Add in red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Stir together with a small whisk.
- Add cooked rotini pasta to the dressing and toss thoroughly.
- Add bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, green olives, basil, and parsley to the bowl with the pasta. Toss all ingredients together.
- Can be served immediately or placed in the refrigerator and served cold.