Do you remember “Soft Batch” chocolate chip cookies from back in the day? My Mom always had cookies on hand for dessert. I absolutely loved when she started buying the soft batch chocolate chip cookies. The texture was the perfect balance between a cookie and raw dough. I recently saw a recipe on Pintrest for Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies. I decided to make a vegan version, because they looked so much like my beloved “Soft Batch” cookies. The recipe was very easy to veganize and the resulting vegan mini chocolate chip cookies are fantastic.
To make the original recipe vegan I replaced the butter with Earth Balance and the egg with Ener-G egg replacer. You can easily use a chia egg here as well. Just mix 1 tsp of ground chia with 2 Tablespoons of water. To grind my chia (or flaxseeds) I use an inexpensive coffee grinder. I grind a cup of chia seeds and put the ground chia in a small mason jar. I store it in the refrigerator so I always have it on hand.
I made two different sized cookies. I used the mini chocolate chips from Enjoy Life for both sizes. I tried the recipe with a Tablespoon sized ice cream scoop to make “larger” cookies. Then I made mini cookies by rolling 1 teaspoon size balls by hand. Making them was more time consuming, but the resulting cookies were adorable. Both sizes taste delicious!
Definitely make these mini vegan chocolate chip cookies for a child’s party, a potluck or a brunch. People get a kick out of the tiny size. One caution…they are addictive and their small size makes them easy to pop into your mouth rapid fire.
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ + ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup Earth Balance, softened
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Ener-G Egg -OR- Chia Egg (See Note)
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup mini Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix butter and both brown and granulated sugar together until well combined. Add egg replacer of choice and vanilla.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until well mixed. Add in chocolate chips and combine.
- Roll dough into either Tablespoon or teaspoon sized balls, depending on your desired size. Cook larger cookies for 9-10 minutes and smaller cookies for 6-7 minutes.