I’m back from my temporary absence. We moved at the end of September and that did a number on my health (I have an autonomic disorder) so I have been in recovery mode for the past few weeks. I haven’t been cooking too much, but I feel like I am starting to get back on track. Right before we moved I made these vegan raspberry lemon muffins. They were great fuel for moving when I needed something quick to eat while I was packing. These also made easy snacks for Trey to bring to school.
You can use either frozen or fresh raspberries in this recipe. If you do use frozen raspberries, as I did, do NOT thaw them. They release a lot of liquid when they thaw and your muffin will turn completely pink.
I used raspberries because Trey doesn’t like blueberries, but you can definitely use either. The combination of cornmeal and lemon would work really well with blueberries.
- 1 Tablespoon ground chia
- 1 cup almond or soy milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- ¼ cup vegan butter (Earth Balance), softened
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup corn meal
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen raspberries (see note)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup mix chia, soy milk, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and lemon extract. Set aside.
- In a mixer cream together vegan butter and sugar. Stir in bowl of liquid ingredients until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, salt, lemon zest, baking powder and baking soda. Combine dry ingredients and liquid ingredients. Mix until well combined. Stir in raspberries.
- Quickly scoop dough into muffin tins. Fill each muffin tin ⅔ full.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until golden brown.