My favorite dessert flavor is cinnamon sugar. I love the combination in most any form…cinnamon sugar toast, donuts, coffee cake or apple pie. I once had a vegan churro made by the team at Timeless Cafe and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I recently took my coffee cake recipe and made a muffin version that is a bit less sweet. I added apples and apple juice, inspired by one of my favorite recipes from Isa Moskowitz. Her Apple Crumb Muffins from Vegan with a Vengeance (a vegan cookbook must have) are a long time favorite. The resulting Vegan Apple Pie Muffins have that tasty combination of cinnamon and sugar, along with the spices and apple flavor reminiscent of apple pie.
For the muffins I used the general method from my families coffee cake. You stir together the flour, sugar and spices and then add in the oil. When you add in the oil a crumb mixture is formed. You set aside 1 cup of the crumb mixture and then add the liquid ingredients to make the batter.
I reduced the sugar and oil called for in the original coffee cake recipe. I added in grated apples and apple juice (inspired by Isa’s recipe) to make sure the muffins stayed sweet and moist. Because I reduced the oil in the batter I did need to add an additional tablespoon of oil to the crumb topping. If you want the crumb mixture to be sweeter you can also add an additional tablespoon of brown sugar.
The flavor and texture of these muffins turned out just as I had hoped. They are full of warm spices, apple flavor and my favorite cinnamon sugar. Make these vegan apple pie muffins for a brunch or snack for the kiddos. You won’t be disappointed.
- 2 Cups Flour
- ½ Cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Cloves
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon, plus more for topping
- ½ Cup, plus 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- ½ Cup Apple Juice
- ½ Cup Almond Milk (or non-dairy milk of choice)
- 1 Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Apple, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a muffin tin, or line with paper muffin cups
- Sift flour, sugars, nutmeg, clove and ½ teaspoon cinnamon into a large bowl. Add ½ cup of oil and mix well until all oil is absorbed. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Take out 1 cup of mixture and place it in a smaller bowl. Mix 1 additional tablespoon of oil with the crumble. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl stir together apple juice, almond milk, vinegar, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir until combined. Add this liquid mixture to the large bowl of the flour mixture. Stir in the grated apple and mix well.
- Fill muffin tins ¾ full with the batter. Top each muffin with a rounded tablespoon of the set aside crumble mixture. Sprinkle each muffin top with a bit of additional cinnamon. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the comes out clean.