As you have probably noticed I love a good cookie. I like mini cookies, loaded cookies and chocolate cookies. There are times, however, when I don’t feel like making the effort to create individual cookies. My solution is to make cookie bars. I make a quick cookie batter, add it to a greased pan and bake. You can relax or get busy on other kitchen tasks while your bars bake. The resulting vegan chocolate chip bars are delicious.
I originally tried making my mini chocolate chip batter into bars, but the dough was much too wet. I went back to the drawing board and created this recipe from scratch. For texture I added pretzels and pecans. You can of course use whatever add ins you like. Any kind of nut would work here, as would coconut shreds.
I love the salty crunch pretzels add to these bars. Use a thin pretzel in the recipe. Thicker pretzels they will create an odd texture in your bar.
You can cut these as small or large as you like. They make a great item to take to a party or picnic since you can cut them in advance. Leave them in the pan for easy transportation.
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 TB Ground Chia mixed with ¼ cup water
- 1 TB vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup pretzels, crushed
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8x8 pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Set bowl aside.
- In a smaller bowl combine canola oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, chia mixture, and vanilla extract. Once thoroughly combined stir liquid mixture into bowl with flour mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips, crushed pretzels and pecans. Pour mixture into greased pan and press mixture down so it is even.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes until the edges are set and the bars are a golden brown color. Let bars cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting.