As I have mentioned Harrison does not consider things that aren’t chocolate dessert. His favorite combination with chocolate is definitely peanut butter. I developed these vegan double chocolate peanut butter cookies to pack a punch of both chocolate and peanut butter flavor. They are made with cocoa powder, chocolate chips and ribbons of peanut butter.
When I made these last week both Trey and Harrison enjoyed sampling the dough. Trey wanted to help me develop some additional recipes and suggested I make cookies with chunks of dough in the cookie. I explained how baking worked and that he would just end up with cookies, since the dough would cook in. Undeterred he suggested that I serve these cookies as sandwiches with whipped cream. Future chef!
The key to these cookies is the ribbons of peanut butter running through them. I learned this technique from Dreena Burton’s Eat, Drink & Be Vegan cookbook. She has a cookie called “You Got Peanut Butter in my Chocolate Cookie”. In her recipe you use a knife to barely mix peanut butter into the chocolate cookie batter. This allows you to see and taste the peanut butter in the cookie. I recommend using cold (not softened) peanut butter when making this recipe. Soft peanut butter ends up mixing right into the dough and you lose the ribbons.
If you are interested in making these to bring to school or an event where children may have allergies you can easily skip the peanut butter. Without the peanut butter you will have double chocolate cookies. These cookies are soft and moist, and popular with all ages.
- 2¼ cups All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cornstarch
- ¾ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Earth Balance, softened
- 1 cup Brown Sugar, packed
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 TB ground Chia, mixed with ¼ cup Water
- 1 TB Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Vegan Chocolate Chips
- ¼ cup Peanut Butter, cold
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar together until well combined. Stir in chia/water mixture and vanilla.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until well mixed. Mix in chocolate chips until combined.
- Cut in peanut butter with a knife. Do not over mix. You should see ribbons of peanut butter in the cookie dough.
- Roll dough into tablespoon sized balls and place on lined baking sheet. Bake cookies for 9-10 minutes.