I hate camping. I know, I know…camping is great, kids love it, you can enjoy nature, its so beautiful etc etc. As hard as I try I just hate the whole idea of camping. Sleeping outside or in a camper when I have a perfectly good home and bed is totally unappealing to me. Harrison has been trying for years to convince me that camping with Trey and the dogs will be great. It sounds like a complete nightmare. The roasting marshmallows for s’mores part of camping does seem fun, although I’d rather just do that over a fire pit in someone’s backyard. I decided to make vegan s’mores cookies so I could enjoy the one appealing part of camping without having to sleep on the ground.These vegan s’mores combine Dandies marshmallows, chocolate chips and Cat Cookies from Trader Joe’s. S’mores aren’t too hard to veganize, but it does involve finding vegan marshmallows and vegan graham crackers. Most marshmallows contain gelatin and most graham crackers have honey in them. Fortunately companies like Dandies and Sweet & Sara make fantastic vegan marshmallows. I can always find Dandies in my local Whole Foods. I only had large Dandies on hand for this recipe so I cut them into smaller pieces. I would NOT recommend doing this if you have mini marshmallows around. It was a very sticky project!
Vegan graham crackers are a bit trickier to find. Sweet & Sara’s makes delicious graham crackers that you can mail order, but I wanted to find something I could buy locally. I decided to try the Cat Cookies from Trader Joe’s and they worked really well. Crunchy and full of cinnamon flavor they make a great graham cracker substitute.
I took a plate of these cookies to friend’s BBQ and they disappeared in minutes. People loved the idea of a s’mores cookie and were surprised these were vegan s’mores. Make them the next time you want the “flavor” of camping without having to go to the trouble of sleeping in the great outdoors.
- 2⅔ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- ¾ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 cup Earth Balance, softened
- 1 cup packed Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground Chia, mixed with ¼ cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
- 1 cup Trader Joe's Cat Cookies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix butter and both brown and granulated sugar together until well combined. Add chia & water mix, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients until well mixed. Stir in chocolate chips, marshmallows, and crushed cookies.
- Roll dough into Tablespoon sized balls and place on parchment baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown.