Do you ever eat salad for breakfast? I know some people love to eat a fresh salad for breakfast, but what about leftover salad from the night before? This is one of my Mom’s favorite breakfasts, especially leftover taco salad. She loves it cold out of the frig with her coffee. While I can’t say I would ever eat this for breakfast I do love my Mom’s taco salad. It is the perfect mix of healthy green salad and tasty crushed chips. It has taken me many iterations to get a vegan version of this taco salad that tastes as good as my Mom’s. My version is made with Beyond Meat Crumbles, romaine hearts, tomatoes, chips, Daiya cheese, diced red onions, cilantro, chips and sliced green olives tossed in a salsa vinaigrette. We top the vegan taco salad with avocado and sometimes Tofutti sour cream. It is delicious and still has that mix of fresh greens with crunchy chips.
The most recent addition to my vegan taco salad is the Beyond Meat Crumbles. The original salad was made with ground beef so the Feisty Crumbles really replicate the original. Previously I made the salad with roasted garbanzo beans. I roasted them with taco seasoning and a little olive oil. The garbanzo beans are a great option if you don’t have Beyond Meat on hand.
For the salsa vinaigrette use a milder salsa. I really like spicy food, but I have learned that spicy salsa in this dressing overpowers the entire salad. I use a mild salsa with red wine vinegar and a little olive oil. I do add a few dashes of Tabasco to the dressing. It adds a little kick without blowing away all of the other flavors. When you toss the salad start with half of the dressing and add more as needed. I almost always use the whole recipe, but I like a lot of dressing on this salad.
This vegan taco salad is totally customizable. Use whatever mix-ins you and your family like, just don’t skip the greens and the chips. This is a quick weeknight dinner, or breakfast of you are my Mom!
- 1 cup Salsa
- 3 Tablespoons Lime Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Olive or Canola Oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 2-4 dashes Tabasco (optional)
- 8 cups chopped Romaine Lettuce
- ¼ cup sliced Black or Green Olives
- ½ cup chopped Tomatoes
- ¼ cup Daiya Shreds
- 2 cups crushed Tortilla Chips
- 2 Tablespoons chopped Cilantro
- ¼ cup diced Red Onions
- 1 cup Beyond Meat or Garbanzo Beans
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- Vegan Sour Cream (optional)
- Dressing - Pour all of the dressing ingredients into a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake until combined and set aside.
- Add all of the salad ingredients into a large bowl. Pour half of the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Taste and add more dressing, depending on your preference.
- Top with avocado slices and a dollop of vegan sour cream before serving.